This picture (above) shows the view looking towards the junction of the Kemptown Branch and the Lewes Line. The 5 triangular rooves in the top left corner are the Hollingdean Abattoir, now demolished. The chimney in the photo stands next to the Destructor, which is part of the council depot in the present day. The tunnel seen on the right of the photo is where the Lewes Line crosses Hollingdean Road and the houses leading up to it are still in situe in the present day. The houses on the skyline indicate the course of Ditchling Road on its way towards Fiveways.

 

ABOVE: This map shows the key components of the picture above, as they appeared in 1932, relative to Hollingdean Road (top right) and Richmond Road / D’Aubigny Road junction (bottom left).